Ancient Egyptian Magic PART 2

Magic in ancient egypt at at times required an substantial amount of preparation in order to be effective. In many examples, the casting of magicks were timed in such a way that these took place only at the major points in a day; dusk, dawn, or midnight. As you might have also guessed from the latter, these events also took place in dark quiet rooms as were thought to be required by the spirits who helped with the magic. Ingredients were also carefully chosen such that only the most expensive or exotic materials are used. The medium the the priest who presides the casting must also be well known or high ranking...the more prestigious the medium, the greater the chance of success. Another chief quality that was watched out for in mediums or the sacrifice, was purity which was the the ancient Egyptians was synonymous with virginity.

The casting of ancient Egyptian spells in itself was done through different ways. Sometimes spoken work, but more potent were the spells that were written down on paper then read aloud. Execration rituals (similar to voodoo dolls) sometimes involved a figurine or a doll and a lot of knives and burning. It was said that Pharaohs asserted their dominance over their enemies by symbolically curb stomping them by having their names written on the sandals he wore.

Many other spells required objects whose functions were similar to what we would imagine as magic wands or staffs. Instead of these however, the ancient Egyptians used magic knives, scepters, and books. Animal figurines especially of hippos probably because of their tenacity and strength.

Color was also important in their magic. As did pictures/statues of Gods.

References:

Geraldine Pinch, Magic in Ancient Egypt

Jacob Rabinowitz, Isle of Fire

You need to be a member of BooAlert to add comments!

Join BooAlert

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is the stuff that makes good movies!

• I hope I don't run into anyone practicing curses and the like while I'm over there!! :>0

• Thank you Janis. It is very interesting.

• Black magic is an everyday occurrence in many parts of the world, especially Africa where some think it originated. 

• Did the Egyptians practice human (virgin) sacrifices? I never heard of that one before. I've never seen hieroglyphics depicting it.  

• Louisiana comes to mind.....

• I'm sure most ancient societies practiced some form of black magic or another.

• I think black magic is taboo everywhere. It comes from a dark place.

• This subject is very taboo in Egypt. Anyone dealing in magic will be arrested and beaten.

This reply was deleted.