Egyptian Curses...

At about 7th Century, Arabs have begun journeying towards Egypt in hope of trade and more so, exploration. Thus they eventually encountered the ancient tombs of the Egyptian kings. However when they encountered these tombs, they also saw the hieroglyphs which to them were very weird and mysterious as they did understand these. Also, the mummies themselves were thought to be magical. that when one utters a magic it would come to life. The combination of treasure, mummies, and the hieroglyphs also gave thought among arabs that these tombs were somehow protected by magic and curses.

Another interesting story, true or not, somehow involves the British Museum and the famous Titanic. The British Museum had once in their possession a mummy which was said to be cursed. And as with cursed things, they decided to give it away to another intuition. So they put it on some ship to be transported to american. It turns out that the ship was none other than big ol Titanic herself and we all know what happened next. Up to this day, people say that it was the cursed mummy that caused the Titanic to sink.

Private tombs of the old kingdom had also a lot of curses on them. Some of the curses found in these old kingdom private tombs are as follows:

1. "As for any man who will make a disturbance, I shall be judged with him"

2. "A  crocodile be against him in the water;  a snake be against him on land,  he who would do anything against this tomb.  Never did  I do a thing against him.  It is the god who will judge."

3. "As for anything that you might do against this tomb of mine of the West, the like shall be done against your property.  I am an excellent lector priest, exceeding knowledgeable in secret spells and all magic.  As for any person who will enter into this tomb of mine in their impurity, having eaten the abominations that excellent akh-spirits abominate, or who do not purify themselves as they should purify themselves for an excellent akh who does what his lord praises, I shall seize him like a goose (wring his neck), placing fear in him at seeing ghosts upon earth, that they might be fearful of an excellent akh... But as for anyone who will enter into this tomb of mine being pure and peaceful regarding it, I shall be his protective backer in the West in the court of the great god."

4. A curse that threatens intruders with donkey rape. The donkey is an animal of Seth, god of the desert.

References: Ancient Egypt, David Silverman, 1997 

You need to be a member of BooAlert to add comments!

Join BooAlert

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd like to find some tombs myself. I just wonder how many tombs are actually left. All the queens and kings have been found and plummeted. Most of all the nobles have been found too. It's best to go now and see them all. From what I understand, they plan to make a virtual museum of the tombs, which means no one will be allowed to see the real ones anymore.  

• I know there are still tombs in Egypt that have not been discovered. Those tombs will have curses in them to keep the tomb robbers away. It doesn't always work. Money is stronger than the magic. I don't think that is news.

• Yep! Alex I think your right. Egypt looks cursed to me!

• I'm sure curses exist to this day in Egypt.

• I would say, with all certainty that Egypt is cursed!

• I'm sure curses have taken place across the world. 

• If I can't make it to Egypt with Ashley's group in December, then I'm going to try to go earlier and I'll let you know if I find anything out of our realm!

• I wonder if those ancient curses worked. All the tombs but King Tuts was looted so I guess they probably didn't. A lot of trouble for nothing. Surly the Pharoahs could have thought of something else.

• I just read that the Cobra was a sort of protection for the Pharoahs. I'm not sure about the other snakes.

• I think magic and spells was a means of keeping the populous in check. 

This reply was deleted.