Leap Castle Elemental

Published on The Occult Review. This is the first hand account of Mildred Darby who explored Leap castle shortly after its obliquette (one way dungeon where prisoners were dropped on a spiked floor) was opened up and cleaned of its one hundred and fifty skeletons.

Suddenly, two hands were laid on my shoulders. I turned round sharply and saw, as clearly as I see you now-a grey ‘Thing’, standing a couple of feet from me, with it’s bent arms raised as if it were cursing me. I cannot describe in words how utterly awful the ‘Thing’ was, it’s very undefinableness rendering the horrible shadow more gruesome. Human in shape, a little shorter than I am, I could just make out the shape of big black holes like great eyes and sharp features, but the whole figure-head, face, hands and all-was grey-unclean, blueish grey, something of the colour and appearance of common cotton wool. But, oh! so sinister, repulsive and devilish. My friends who are clever about occult things say it is what they call an “Elemental”.”

The thing was about the size of a sheep, thin, gaunt and shadowy in parts. It’s face was human, or to be more accurate, inhuman, in it’s vileness, with large holes of blackness for eyes, loose slobbery lips, and a thick saliva-dripping jaw, sloping back suddenly into its neck! Nose it had none, only spreading, cancerous cavities, the whole face being a uniform tint of grey. This too, was the colour of the dark coarse hair covering its head, neck and body. It’s forearms were thickly coated with the same hair, so were its paws, large, loose and hand-shaped; and it sat on it’s hind legs, one hand or paw was raised, and a claw-like finger was extended ready to scratch the paint. It’s lusterless eyes, which seemed half decomposed, and looked incredibly foul, stared into mine, and the horrible smell which had before offended my nostrils, only a hundred times intensified, came up to my face, filling me with a deadly nausea. I noticed the lower half of the creature was indefinite and seemed semi-transparent-at least, I could see the framework of the door that led into the gallery through its body.”

Another account written through a letter:

I saw your eyes fixed upon something above our heads, and the next minute my own eyes were filled by the sight of a Thing in the gallery looking down at us. There was plenty of light from the lamps in the hall and the one above on the wall at the corner of the gallery, for every one of us to see quite plainly the grey-coloured figure about the height of a small grown-up person looking down at us. I wish I thought I could ever forget the sight of that grey figure with dark spots like holes in its head instead of eyes, standing with grey arms folded on the gallery railing looking down at us…Then, just as he put foot on the gallery, the Thing that he saw there, that we were watching, suddenly faded out of sight. The Thing did not move, only became less and less visible until it vanished.”

You need to be a member of BooAlert to add comments!

Join BooAlert

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree Alan. :D It also reminds me of HP Lovecraft's prose.

• This sounds like something right out of a Edgar Allan Poe poem.

• Hmm, isn't it a fact that human life at that times (Iron age to the middle ages) didn't really have much of a value? 

• The story on the elemental sure is a very unique haunting, and that doesn't make it less scarier. But what kinda upsets me is the thing about the obliqutte. I mean, what kind of monster of a man would posses the most evil intent, violence, sadism, and total disregard of human life by using the obliqutte?! Damn, i would prefer to be hung or beheaded! Sometimes the inhuman violence that men inflict upon other men justifies the existence of these malicious spirits and the like. It's just sad.

• I agree. One of the most famous elemental hauntings...not that i know of many.

• very creepy...

This reply was deleted.