Paranormal Themed movies

Hi i am Ruben Figueroa. I am a chemistry teacher here in the Philippines and i am also an enthusiast regarding all things paranormal. Let's talk about movies, scary movies. Sure sure, i know you've seen the paranormal activity films, sixth sense, ghost, etc. etc. and probably enjoyed them like i did. But does these films really give the viewer a reason to rethink the world around him? Not that that was the first intention of movie makers in the first place...Or most of these movies are watched only for pure entertainment and thrill. I'm not saying that they should really make all paranormal themed movies to deliberately spark genuine academic interest as that falls unto the viewer's own decision, but couldn't they at least base some of their new ones on folklore, myths and folk legends rather than the overused collection of urban legends? And also don't get me started on films like Shark In Venice (2007), House of Wax (2005), The Happening (2008), and The Wicker Man (2006) which turned out to be a laugh trip. These films i listed are only one of the many horror films that had so much potential but were thrown away like your yesterday's cat poop. I mean, seriously? Wicker Man? Nicholas Cage punching women in a bear suit?

You need to be a member of BooAlert to add comments!

Join BooAlert

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Another mummy movie, with a better leading man. XD

• I'd like to see another 'Mummy" movie. 

• Hi Ruben! If you're reading these posts, then you'll know Egypt is my favorite country. If I had the money, I'd make my own movie in Luxor around the tombs and temples. At night, it has the same graveyard effect that we have in our country. Actually, it is downright scary. Maybe we can make an amateur video while we are there. Ruben have you signed up to go to Luxor? I hope you do. It really is a lot of fun!

• In terms of paranormal themed movies, i still like the classic ones. You know, before the 90s collection of movies.

• I think anything scary will attract people's attention. It must be the adrenaline rush.

• Paranormal anything has alway held a fascination for people. We seem to love what we cannot explain.

• Probably the movie industry cashed in on anything paranormal when a 'real' occurrence actually happened. For example, The Exorcist was loosely based on a true story, but of course, Hollywood has to revamp it and make it over-the-top for ticket sells.

This reply was deleted.