Some of the Curses in Tut's TOmb

As many of us know, king Tut's tomb is made famous not only by the array of treasures, hieroglyphs  and the mummy itself but also of the curse that is said to have been placed on whoever dared entered the place. By some luck, i have found some old British news papers and some books from the local library containing details about these said curses...read them, and please share what you guys think.

On the tomb entrance:

"They who enter this sacred tomb shall swift be visited by wings of death."

On a statue of Anubis:

"It is I who hinder the sand from choking the secret chamber. I am for the protection of the deceased and I will kill all those who cross this threshold into the sacred precincts of the Royal King who lives forever."

Note that these were very rough translations and may not have been the actual curses themselves. Also, some contradictions in general Egyptian practices arises.

1. Egyptians typically do not write curses in their tombs and instead wrote a lot of spells that would supposedly help the dead go into wherever they were supposed to go.

2. The Hieroglyphs themselves were in bad condition as shown by the one found on the statue of anubis whose second part was only added as a logical continuation if you will.

So, what do you think?  

You need to be a member of BooAlert to add comments!

Join BooAlert

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sounded like Egyptian gods were tough guys...like those crazy Greek gods. lol 

• Hello Janis! How are you? Thank you for your kind words. You are most welcome to my my country! You will love it. There is so much to see and do. You will enjoy our hospitality. I noticed someone had posted very nice pictures of Luxor. I highly recommend going there too. Once you drink from the Nile, you will return again. :)

• Hey Mohammed, Welcome back!. Recently i have been posting a lot about ancient Egypt, but do well know that i am also sharing and in turn also eager to learn more about your beautiful country. I really do hope i can visit there soon.

• Hello everyone! Long time since I've been here. I am so happy to see my country being discussed here. I can definitely tell you that my ancestors did use magic in their lives and death. Not only did they write many (too many) verses from the Book of the Dead but they also wrote curses too.  Black magic is still practiced to this day in Egypt. It is a very taboo subject and if the police have knowledge of anyone playing with it they are immediately arrested. Some things don't change.

• Trey mentioned about a Donkey curse. To clarify, the Donkey was a sacred animal of Seth who was the god of the deserts and it was said that who ever laid hands on that private tomb (old kingdom tomb) will be raped by a donkey. Yikes!

• Yeah, I thought that was wierd about the turkey too. I could have misunderstood him. He didn't know the English word, so I guessed based on his description. I wish I knew what the holy man saw. They offered him all kinds of money, a percentage of the stuff they found inside the tomb, anything just for him to go back in and make whatever evil inside get out. He flatly refused!Scary stuff!

• Kinda makes it clearer to me now...(the part that the afterlife is more important to them.)

John Baker said:

The ancient pharoahs had sorcerers, magicians and diviners on their royal payroll. They were included in their daily part of life. Just like many people consult their astrologer/horoscopes or psychics. It would only make sense that they would have curses put in their tombs to protect them. The afterlife was more important to the ancient Egyptians than their life on earth.

Some of the Curses in Tut's TOmb
    As many of us know, king Tut's tomb is made famous not only by the array of treasures, hieroglyphs  and the mummy itself but also of the curse that i…
  • Dont get me wrong but, what makes me lol are the fact that mundane farm animals to them were signs of bad omens or curses... i mean; turkey, and donkey...what the lol. :D

• The ancient pharoahs had sorcerers, magicians and diviners on their royal payroll. They were included in their daily part of life. Just like many people consult their astrologer/horoscopes or psychics. It would only make sense that they would have curses put in their tombs to protect them. The afterlife was more important to the ancient Egyptians than their life on earth.

• To my understanding, most of the pharoahs had curses placed in their tombs. In fact, I have a friend in Egypt who told me a story about his cousin and friend who found a undisturbed tomb (not a pharoah). Once they broke through, they both heard at the same time in their head, not ears, that they would die. He went on to say, they saw a huge turkey and snake with red eyes. They ran out and decided to get a holy man to go in and bless it. That didn't work either. He went inside and 5 minutes later ran out as white as a ghost (pardon the pun). He has refused to this day to speak about what he saw or heard. This is a true story.

This reply was deleted.